Sunday, March 29, 2015

Learning to Forecast Persistent Contrail Events: Small Town Corp Execs did not like taking the Train

For 16 years I have been back to my home area of Clintonville, Wisconsin, USA. I couldn't wait to leave when I was 17. Blogging about contrail clouds or more specifically aviaticus formations forecasting, I think it is an odd hobby for me.  I'm not a meteorologist or a pilot or a writer but somehow I'm drawn to all three.

In 1942, My great grandfather at age 77, with all his sons at war, worked his farm alone. He got his hand caught in a hay baler and shortly died of lockjaw. The City of Clintonville, (population today still under 5000), where Four Wheel Drive (FWD) Corp was located, was actively pursing a site for a municipal airport. My great grand mother then sold the farm land to the City. The airport was built and Wisconsin Central Airlines was formed by the  execs from FWD. The execs had began their own commuting flight to Green Bay with one Waco Bi-Plane they had acquired by trading one of their company trucks.  They soon found out they could charge other people and thus the airline company was created.  In 1952 they changed its name to North Central Airlines and became a large regional carrier. In 1979 North Central Airlines went national.  They bought Southern Airways and changed their name to Republic Airlines and a year later acquired Hughes Airwest.  Six years later Northwest Airlines bought out Republic and then Northwest merged  with Delta and in 2010 the surviving name was Delta Airlines.   I am now located 14 miles north of the Clintonville and I happened to take notice of the large number of planes that fly over or near Clintonville.  I still do not know if this is a coincidence because of Clintonville's geographical location between Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit or if it is just a common traditional flyway that has nor changed in 70 years even though there has not been commercial service to Clintonville in many decades.  Now if I turn to face north with my back to Clintonville, there is little traffic to see so I am located in a rural area, on the cusp of a flyway with a great visual view of the sky traffic and Aviaticus clouds the traffic creates.

As I am writing this Flight ACA6 Boeing 777 from Tokyo to Toronto passes over Clintonville, WI



North of Clintonville, Wisconsin there is not much air traffic to view as shown from the example screen shot below



Not only is the air traffic easily viewed and tracked from my location because I for the most part need only look south.  In addition. the prevailing weather almost always runs west to east.  This is why this is such a good area to observe aircraft and weather patterns in order to learn to forecast persistent contrail events. (PCE)

No comments:

Post a Comment